Coronavirus and the Eye –
Coronavirus can spread through the eyes
The main eye sign of corona virus is a RED EYE
While corona virus causes chest illness/infections and pneumonia,
- When a sick person coughs or talks, virus particles can spray from their mouth or nose into another person’s face and can also enter through your eyes.
- Corona virus can also enter eyes by you touching something that has the virus on it — like a table or doorknob — and then touching your eyes.
However If you see someone with pink eye, DO NOT PANIC. It does not mean that the person is infected with coronavirus. It's important to know that the virus can spread by touching fluid from an infected person’s eyes, or from objects that carry the fluid. Therefore a red eye should be assessed and examined by an Eye Specialist urgently.
- Practice safe hand hygiene – hand washing and alcohol rubs
- Social distancing
- If you wear contact lenses, consider switching to glasses for a while.
- Wearing glasses adds a layer of protection – Consider wearing non-prescription protective glasses
- Avoid rubbing your eyes
Dr Kelvin Wong, FRCOphth (Lon), Opthalmologist
Hotline: 𝟎𝟗𝟑𝟖𝟏𝟑𝟔𝟕𝟓𝟖 / 𝟎𝟗𝟎𝟑𝟏𝟐𝟔𝟕𝟓𝟖