Blue Light GLASSES and
Digital Eye Strain
BLUE LIGHT GLASSES
Possible advantage of Blue light glasses when using digital screens
- Improve sleep
- Reduce digital eye strain
- Reduce risk of development of eye disease
We all want to do the above, however it is not absolutely necessary to spend money on special eye wear. But it may be beneficial.
Ways to reduce blue light exposure
- Blue light from computers/TV/Phones – Reduce use time of these devices
- Sleep improvement – by decreasing evening screen time (stop usage of digital screen 1-2 hours before sleep) and set devices to night mode
- Blue light from Sun – Blue light and UV light rays from the sun can raise the risk of eye disease therefore the best solution is to use sunglasses
Computer/digital eye strain
Using devices will not damage your eyes permanently, but staring at them for a long periods of time can cause temporary discomfort. Symptoms can include:
- Dry eyes
- Blurry vision
- Tearing or watery eyes
Ways to reduce digital eye strain
- Take frequent breaks by using the “20-20-20” rule. Every 20 minutes look away from your screen and look at an object 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds.
- Use lubricants to lubricate your eyes regularly
- Sit about 25 inches or at arm’s length from your screen and adjust its height so you’re looking slightly downward at it.
- Reduce glare and brightness - Consider a matte screen filter for your device. Adjusting the brightness and contrast of your screen and dimming the lighting near your screen can also help reduce eye strain.
- Wear eyeglasses - wearing contact lenses increase dryness and irritation. To reduce this wearing eyeglasses